Final Week of SoupPalooza 2014! Here on the Monday edition of the At Home w/ GCH blog, we have celebrated with four different soup recipes: Mushroom Soup with Wild Rice, Baked Potato Soup, Turkey Veggie Soup, and today’s recipe, a Chili w/ Veggies. Each recipe a completely different ‘style’ soup than the next! From Mr. Hayden and I, we hope you have enjoyed the variety…He certainly has!
This week’s recipe was inspired by a suggestion from our Dana Kim in her recent post ing of a Cabbage and Pineapple Slaw recipe. (Boy, was that good!) She hinted at a recipe for a spicy soup or chili. So, I prepared BOTH her recipe along with mine…here y’go!
2# ground beef (or turkey)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
4-5 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, chopped1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped garlic (I use jarred)
1-28ounce can crushed tomatoes
1-15 ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
1-15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
1 package taco seasoning (* see below for ‘homemade’ seasoning recipe)
1-2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped avocado, salsa
- Saute the ground meat ‘til all the pink is cooked out. Drain away the excess liquid and set the cooked meat aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to heat over medium heat; add the chopped onion and mushrooms. Saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the chopped bell pepper; stir well. Saute the veggies for approximately 6-7 minutes ‘til just beginning to get slightly brown.
- Lower heat and add chopped garlic. Stir constantly for 1 additional minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high, pour in the chopped tomatoes and the taco seasoning mix. Stir.
- Finally add back the cooked meat as well as the beans; stir well ‘til all is combined.
- Bring just to a boil; and lower heat so the mixture is gently simmering.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1+1/2 teaspoons salt (optional, I do not include it)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup cornstarch
Place all ingredients in a small glass jar; shake really well ‘til all ingredients appear to be evenly distributed. (To substitute for the mix that comes in a yellow package: use 3 tablespoons of mix and 1/3 cup water for each pound of meat.)
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
God loves you! ♥ (Don’t ever forget that!)