This week, I am blogging TODAY, only because I would like to challenge you to something. Then I will be back on this blog again on Thursday, February 7th, to see how you are doing! Some of you may not like this challenge, but let’s take a serious look at this, and see what we can do. If you have followed along with me for the past month, you should have freezer meals on hand, and your Pantry/Freezer lists updated. Right? So this challenge shouldn’t be too difficult for most of you. I know some of you may be a bit behind, but now would be a great time to get caught up with this series.
I would like to challenge you to a Pantry/Freezer Challenge, for the entire month of February (just 28 days). You will be limited to just what is in your pantry and freezer! So you will have to be creative! The Pantry/Freezer Challenge is a great way to trim the budget, keep close accounts on what you have, and rotate your current stock to avoid waste.
Each Thursday, I will come back here to update you on how the Challenge is going on my end, and I would love to hear how it’s going on your end as well.
What this Pantry/Freezer Challenge is NOT:
- It’s not about NOT buying ANY groceries for the month of February. You will need things, such as milk, eggs, bread, fresh fruits/veggies, etc. This challenge is only for the bigger items, like meat, canned vegetables, staples, etc.
- It is not about living on beans and weenies for the entire month. It’s about going through what is in your pantry and freezer and making meals with those ingredients until you run out, and it becomes time to go grocery shopping again for the big stuff.
- This Challenge does NOT include times you go out to eat. It’s only about what is eaten at home.
We want to see how long we can go before we have to go buy the main grocery items that we typically would. We also want to see how much money we can save this month!!
What this Pantry/Freezer Challenge Is:
- It’s about saving money!! I read today that the average family of four spends $151 a week on groceries; that’s over $600 a month on groceries; almost $7,500 a year! Wow! Think of the savings that we would accumulate each month if we could do a Pantry/Freezer Challenge in our homes, at least one week a month! Think about it, one week without groceries equals a yearly savings of $1,812 (based on the above average).
- It’s about being focused on what you have on hand already!
- It’s about using what we already have on hand, so we don’t let food go to waste!
- It’s about being good stewards!
How this Challenge works:
- If you haven’t already done so, you will need to make a list of every single thing that is in your pantry and your freezer.
- Plan your meals for each week according to what is on your Pantry/Freezer lists.
- ONLY go to the grocery store when you need things such as milk, eggs, cheese, fresh fruits/veggies, paper goods, cleaning products, etc.
- Keep track of what you are spending on the minimal amount of groceries that you will purchase.
- Check in on our blog each Thursday to let us know how you are doing. In checking in, I also want to hear how much you have spent for groceries, in the prior week.
- Plan leftovers into your menu planning!
- If you eat it, write it down. Keep a food journal to go back to at the end of the month to see what kind of meals you actually did eat for the month! You may be surprised!
- EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED MORE RECIPE IDEAS!
CARE TO JOIN ME?
I’m looking to find a few people who are willing to take on this Challenge, with me! Are you up for it? If so, comment below and let me know you’re all in! Then send me an email (listed below), so I can have a way of contacting you through the week to see how you are doing.
Now, since I typically blog on Thursday’s for At Home with GCH, I switched days with another blogger for just this week, so I could get this message out to you in time to accept this challenge, if you so choose. With that said, that means that I will not be back again, until Thursday, February 7th. Thursday is my normal blogging day. I will check up on you then to see how you are doing, AND give you an update of how I am doing with the challenge, too! Are You Ready? Here we go….
Let’s do this together!
Have a GREAT week, Ladies!
To contact Christi in regards to this blog, please email her at: